For students who are interested in participating in USA Computing Olympiad competition, Ardent Labs offer 3 beginning level courses in either Python, Java, or C++ programming languages. Students must have completed Ardent Python Level 2, Introduction to Java Programming, or CS50X courses to take these classes.
All three classes offer the same content with the exception of coding languages. Each class will accept just 4 students to ensure maximum coaching and one-on-one attention.
This class is for students who have the basic knowledge of Java programming and would like to apply their Java knowledge in solving USACO problems, participating in USACO competitions, and studying advanced programming techniques and algorithms that commonly appear in USACO competitions.
The course assumes that the students are comfortable with the following Java statements:
- The use of primitive data types such as boolean, char, int, long, and double
- The String Class
- The Scanner Class
- The array data type and the Arrays Class
- The if-then-else conditional statements
- The for-loop and the while-loop statements
- The print and println statements
- How to write a Java method
- How to create a Java Class
The format of the class is self-paced, independent study with monthly meetings to discuss major programming techniques.