Scientific research brings together observations, knowledge, and data to solve problems, invent solutions, and develop new products.
The goal of this course is to provide highly motivated students an opportunity to perform independent research and learn how to effectively communicate their results. Students participate in group classes, web-based collaboration, individual meetings, and receive research assistance while conducting research at Ardent Academy or with a student-selected mentor at home, universities, medical centers or research institutes. Students who are able to complete a project will have the opportunity to enter local, state and/or national science competitions. Students must complete an application and be approved before registering.
- Click here to apply for the Junior Division (Gr 6-8). Click here to apply for the Senior Division (Gr 9-12).
- After reviewing the application, we will follow-up to schedule an interview with Dr. Li.
- Once accepted, you will register and pay the tuition of $1,750.
Applications are due May 31, 2019. Selection to Ardent Summer Science Research Institute is considered by an application and in-person interview. Once your application is received, our office will contact you to schedule an interview.
The purpose of this course is to develop the students' ability to identify a research topic, complete their own thorough scientific investigation on the topic and report their findings through written and oral presentations. Specific objectives include, but are not limited to the following:
- Understand the scientific research process
- Develop experience with experimental techniques specific to their field of research
- Develop a working knowledge of conducting literature search
- Understand the importance of communicating in clear, concise writing as a scientist
- Practice scientific writing and participate in the peer review process
- Practice orally presenting and defending their research
- Produce a paper or poster of their research
Computer Use Policy
You are responsible for bringing your own computer with software for creating and editing documents and spreadsheets. It is expected that students will use the computer appropriately during the camp time. The following policies are strictly enforced:
- No computer game playing during the entire camp time (lecture, research, and breaks)
- No use of Facebook, Google+, or other online chat and messaging applications during the entire camp time.
- No other work on the computer unrelated to the current research topic.
IF YOU VIOLATE THE COMPUTER POLICY, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE CLASSROOM IMMEDIATELY.
- A 3-ring binder to keep lecture and literature notes, relevant articles, internet research
- Composition notebook for research notes (check Lesson 0 for requirements)
- Microsoft Office