Summer 2020: E303A01 - Book Club 3
· Short Story (will be provided in class)
· Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo (520L)
Filled with engaging class discussions, interactive group activities, and thought-provoking writing prompts, students will do a deep dive into the world of superheroes and improve reading and analysis skills. They will practice referencing to specific texts to prove their perspective and learn how to develop and distinguish ideas beyond the narrator’s and their classmates.
Link to course reading: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/books/flora--ulysses-by-kate-dicamillo/
This course will encompass the following California English Language Arts Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.3: Describe characters in a story (e.g. their traits. Motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.5: Refer to parts of stories, dramas, and poems when writing or speaking about a text, using terms such as chapter, scene, and stanza; describe how each successive part builds on earlier sections.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.6: Distinguish their own point of view from that of the narrator or those of the characters.