Summer 2020: E305A01 - Book Club 5
Theme: Fantastic Worlds
· Short Stories, provided in class
· The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (680L)
· The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (700L)
Filled with engaging class discussions, interactive group activities, and thought-provoking writing prompts, students will do a deep dive into Fantastic Worlds and improve reading and analysis skills. They will practice referencing to specific texts to prove their perspective and learn how to develop and distinguish ideas beyond the narrator’s and their classmates.
Links to course readings:
This class will encompass the following California English Language Arts Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.2: Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.3: Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events, in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.5: Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.6: Describe how a narrator’s or speaker’s point of view influences how events are described.