Fall 2020: E103B01 - Accelerated English 3
Filled with collaborative group work and guided discussions, this course will use “The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind” By William Kamkwamva and Bryan Mealer to dive into our studies of expository texts. Based on a true story, this piece of nonfiction literature will encourage students to explore new ideas by connecting to prior and current knowledge of today’s society. We will demonstrate comprehension by identifying answers in the text, extract appropriate and significant information from the text, and analyze complexities. The focus of this session will be expository writing (distinguishing maid ideas and supporting details).
Required Book: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer
You are welcome to attain the book in whatever format you prefer–physical or e-book. Just ensure you have a copy so that we’re able to complete fruitful discussions and assignments in this course.
This course will encompass the following 3rd Grade English Language Arts Standards:
• 1.3: Read aloud narrative and expository text fluently and accurately and with appropriate pacing, intonation, and expression.
• 1.5: Demonstrate knowledge of levels of specificity among grade-appropriate words and explain the importance of these relations.
• 2.2: Ask questions and support answer by connecting prior knowledge with literal information found in, and inferred from, the text.
• 2.4: Recall major points in the text and make and modify prediction about forthcoming information.
• 2.5: Distinguish the main idea and supporting details in expository texts.