Fall 2020: E108B13 - Accelerated English 7/8
This fall, students will analyze literature through the lens of ghost stories. In this class, students will foster the ability to discuss and analyze various literary devices such as: symbolism, tone and mood, motifs, allusions, etc, as well as figurative language devices. Students will focus on crafting a strong expository essay based on our in class reading, as well as express their creativity by devising an alternate ending for the same text.
This course will encompass the following English Language Arts Standards:
• CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.8.1: Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
• CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.8.2: Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot; provide an objective summary of the text.
• CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.8.3: Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a story or drama propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
• CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.8.4.A: Use context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence or paragraph; a word's position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
• CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.8.5.C: Distinguish among the connotations (associations) of words with similar denotations (definitions) (e.g., bullheaded, willful, firm, persistent, resolute).