Winter 2021: E103C01 - Accelerated English 3
This winter, we will explore the literary genre of fantasy both in our reading and writing. During this course, we will be reading the book Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. We will discuss and analyze different portions of the story each week, and look at the story’s writing style as an example for the student’s own narrative writing they will be doing towards the end of the session. In addition to this, each week, we will discuss different narrative and grammar topics to better build up students’ abilities to analyze elements of a story and improve their writing fundamentals.
*Instructor: Amanda Walker
This course will encompass the following English Language Arts Standards:
- ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.1: Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.3: Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.6: Distinguish their own point of view from that of the narrator or those of the characters.
- ELA-LITERACY.W.3.3: Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
- ELA-LITERACY.L.3.1.E: Form and use the simple (e.g., I walked; I walk; I will walk) verb tenses.