Winter 2021: E105C03 - Accelerated English 5
This winter, students will explore their informative and expository writing abilities. They will write a four-paragraph informative piece on the topic of their choosing, as well as a small analysis on one of the themes of our course text. We will also spend some time venturing into and analyzing the book: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien. This class will focus heavily on building a strong writing foundation, as well as continuing to foster a foundation for analytical readers.
*Instructor: Amanda Walker
This course will encompass the following English Language Arts Standards:
- ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.2: Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.5: Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
- ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.6: Describe how a narrator's or speaker's point of view influences how events are described.
- ELA-LITERACY.W.5.2: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
- ELA-LITERACY.L.5.3.A: Expand, combine, and reduce sentences for meaning, reader/listener interest, and style.